Prep time: 10 min
Bake time: 20 min
Makes: 12 cupcakes (6 belly cake jars)
- 1 1/3 cup yellow cake mix (Note: boxed cake mixes are generally about four cups, so one cake mix can make three different belly cake recipes. If you want to use the whole box, multiply all the other ingredients by three.)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp sour cream or greek yogurt
- Lemon extract
- 6 empty baby food jars
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Lemon zest (optional)
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 12 cupcake papers in a cupcake pan.
(2) Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix egg, water, cake mix, vegetable oil, and sour cream (or greek yogurt) together. Add a few drops of lemon extract to taste...a little bit will make the cake fresh, a lot will lemon it up enough to keep morning sickness at bay. Pour into cupcake papers, filling 2/3rds of the way.
(3) Bake 20 min and set out to cool.
(4) To make the buttercream frosting, use an electric mixer to blend softened butter and confectioners sugar. If it's too powdery, add water a tablespoon at a time until you get the consistency you want.
(5) To make the belly cakes, put one unwrapped cupcake into the bottom of the jar. Using a pastry bag or a Ziploc with the corner cut off, add a layer of buttercream frosting and top with a second cupcake. Pipe more frosting and finish it off with little bit of lemon zest if you'd like. You can eat them right away or, even better, refrigerate them and they'll be a refreshing snack on a hot day. The frosting hardens up, but it's still delicious!
These little cakes were inspired by Petite Lemon, a company that offers the most darling customized children's goods. Prepare to fall in love...